Library Videos

IMG_0585“How the heck do I reference in APA/Chicago/MLA style?” Honestly, I swear that writing/formatting your work properly in all the different styles is one of the most common problems that ALL students have. Not just first years, even students in their fourth years go and double/triple check their work just to make sure they actually formatted it right. I know I certainly still need to check twice before submitting.

What all these people -don’t- know, is that the university’s library has actually uploaded a bunch of stuff online to help with all kinds of academic problems. Don’t know how to reference your journal article in MLA? The library has the answer. Not sure how to make subheading in APA style? The library has the answer.

If you go to the Federation University website, and click the little ‘Library’ tab up the top, all kinds of useful stuff gets thrown at you. If you look on the left, you’ll see some tabs like ‘assignment and research help’, and ‘course-related resources’. If you’re having trouble referencing, go to course-related resources and click on ‘general guide for the presentation of academic work’. If you’re having trouble actually finding resources to reference, go to ‘assignment and research help’ and check out the ‘library skills classes’ that the library runs!

If there’s anything you can’t find or aren’t quite sure of, go and ask the librarian! I know some people have a hard time asking questions to people they don’t know, but don’t underestimate librarians, they get bored just like everyone else and will often leap at the chance to use their knowledge to help a student with an honest question!

The two morals of this story are 1; the university library site has good stuff on it, and 2; librarians are super smart and often really nice, treat them with respect and use them as the fantastic resource that they are!

Have fun!

~Brodie.