The Myths I was told about #unilyf

SharelleMyth 1: “All uni students do is drink cheap wine, go out during the week, and spend a few hour in class… what a life”.

What a load of horse manure. This is the lie many of my older friends told me about uni life and they couldn’t have got it any more wrong! Sure we’ve all seen American pie and thought wow that looks insane! Truth is you drink cheap wine because YOU HAVE NO MONEY, and lets be honest I am often piled up to my neck in assignments with no time to have a social life. Sure you only spend a few hours in class, but the rest of the day, and the one following that, is spent doing that essay that’s due at the end of the week. Uni is definitely not something that you can bludge your way through drunk!

Myth 2: “Uni students have too many holidays between semesters”.

Yes, it is true. We do have a lot of time up out sleeves. BUT this time is needed and well deserved (for most of us). Holidays are a chance to catch up on any missed content, or to recover from placement, or prepare for the next stressful semester, or start one of the ten assignments due. I love using some of my time off to prepare myself so I’m not so stressed when uni comes back, that way you feel like your ten steps in front of the rest!

Myth 3: “University is so much easier then VCE”

Getting told this myth was probably the most annoying one after once experiencing uni for myself. Don’t get me wrong finishing school and getting into uni was very VERY stressful, but uni can be stressful and challenging at times as well. Mum and dad aren’t around to babysit anymore, you constantly get lost on campus, and all of a sudden that link for that essay you had no idea about appears on moodle with no reminders from your teacher! I think the word to use is “different”, yes uni is hard, but VCE was as well, and we all survived! I think you just learn to adapt and go with the flow. You learn to always read and re-read your course descriptors, you learn not to be too hangover the next day for your 8:30 class, you learn to budget, and you learn to check your student emails more frequently than your phone.

~Sharelle