Student Interview: Steve

selfieCam’s Corner is back! And no, that’s not the official name, but one can always dream. Last week I was sitting on a lecture and had the bright idea to interview someone I know in it. I chased down Steve and he kindly agreed to play a starring role in this weeks blog post. Steve is an “it’s complicated” 1st Year Bachelor of Science student at the Mt Helen campus. Here we go!

20150811_151454_HDR-2Hey Steve, thanks for agreeing to be interviewed. Where would you like to be in 5 years?

Hopefully doing research somewhere. I haven’t got any goals in terms of exactly where I want to go yet, which is why I’ve chosen a general degree. I’d like to do something to do with Chemistry as a job, in the long run.

What’s your history at the uni, Steve?

I started 3 years ago – or this is my third year, now – and I did two years of the Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical). But I decided after the 2 years that Engineering wasn’t for me, and I thought Science was the next best bet, because it has always been an interest, so that’s where I am now. I am enjoying it a lot more, which is good.

What do you think is the biggest reason for your change of degrees?

With the degree [Mechanical Engineering], it was intended to get you ready for project management. From looking at information lecturers had sent me about entry level jobs, some of the responsibilities straight out of university scared me a little bit. Honestly, I was stressed enough studying, and I wasn’t sure if I wanted this as a job, I felt like I’d be bald before I was 30. I think it may have been because I wasn’t as passionate about it; I hadn’t felt that spark that I felt at other times like I did with science, so that’s why I changed to do science instead.

What do you think your favourite thing about the course is, or studying in general?

Not going to say assignments…although I don’t mind doing some assignments. They’re fun, but the attached deadline always makes it worse. Probably just the general reading stuff we have to do. Reading over the textbooks gives me a good idea of what’s going on. Making some friends out of the course has been good as well. In engineering I made a few friends, but there weren’t many of us doing the same subjects, but this year I’ve made some. Studying with people is good for me, too. As for the course material, Chemistry is the best part for me, although I like Biology as well.

What do you struggle with most when studying?

I have moments when I feel like I’m having trouble, but a normal thing for me is to just hammer away at something until I get it. Most course stuff falls pretty well in place for me. In Science, most of the content interests me enough that I just learn it quicker than normal.

Do you have any tips for students starting their first year?

When you’re starting out, don’t leave things to the last minute in the first couple of weeks! Get ahead early. I feel like if you start doing things early and getting into that work mode (which a lot of people have trouble with) you’ll end up loving it because you will have far less trouble with it. That’s just how I see it — save yourself some time later.

If you could alter one thing about the world that would immediately take effect, what would it be?

General corruption — in governments and businesses — that screw over the little man. Particularly at the moment, when I look at a lot of stuff right now with governments all over the world, that is something I would like to see changed. That is the reason that everything turns to crap. If we could get rid of that, a lot of problems would be alleviated, just in regular society as well as solving big issues such as some wars. The concept of government is fine, most of the ideas of government seem okay, but when someone with the wrong ideals is in the leadership position and has the chance to take money and does something like that, it doesn’t work.

What is the strongest memory (or a memory you can easily recall?). Probably from when you’re little.

It’s hard to say, because a lot of stuff as a kid I can’t remember very well. Strongest can be bad too, right? Primary school. From the get go, I was rejected by my peers. I made no friends in my first year in primary school. I remember asking some people in my year level if I could play with them, and they would blatantly say no, and they didn’t give me a reason either. I used to study and do a lot of stuff on my own. But that was one of my strongest memories, just being in primary school and realising the people around me didn’t want a bar of me. I had to deal with that for about 5 years, then I managed to make some friends. Just the few friends that I made were really important to me; those people were kind of like me, and we had a lot of similarities. I’m just sad I didn’t find them until grade 6 and early high school. I also had some issue with bullies, which is kind of funny, though. I ended up hitting one around the head, and he stepped back, which was another interesting memory.

What’s your favourite way to wind down?

I’m honestly not sure. Probably reading, if anything. Occasionally I play games, just to calm down. Working on my hobbies is another — music is one of them, and I play guitar and piano. I play around on my computer. I have been learning how to program and make 3D art. It’s all to do with something I’m working on, to use 3D art and programming. Basically the computer thinks for itself while running a 3D program. I also do gym every now and then. It’s all about getting fit in general. I’ve never been a fit person, but once I’ve started exercising I feel like my fitness has improved heaps.

When you say reading, is it recreational reading or educational reading? Or fanfictions?

No, I don’t read fanfictions. Maybe I should try that. I’ve never seen what they look like. I’ve heard of them and just thought “that sounds kind of weird”.

If you could time travel, where would you go to and why? What about if you couldn’t return?

Is that just time, or time and space..? If it was time and space, I would probably go into the future somewhere. I feel like it would be more ethical to do so. I couldn’t see myself going into the past, I feel like I’d bore the crap out of myself. That whole “I’ve seen this before”, whereas going into the future you don’t know what’s going to be there when you get there. I personally don’t see the point in going back in time, it’s not like you’re going to be able to change the world or anything. If I couldn’t come back, I’d probably still prefer going somewhere where I have no idea what’s going to be there.

We’ll call that the very climactic end to our interview! Thankyou very much to Steve who agreed to be interviewed (although I had to bribe him with a hot chocolate) and sharing a bit with us. I’m really glad this interview didn’t mention any clubs or I’d be super-spooked (see the previous two interviews if you’re not sure what I mean). Cam’s signing off for another week!