Aaron’s Hot Tips, Session Two: How to Res Properly

Thinking about Res? Wondering whether you can hack it or not? And if it’s for you?
Well, my friends, go no further, as Uncle Aaron is here for you with the inside goss on how to survive Res. (Side note: this post will not only help students that already live on res, it will also help those students that don’t live on Res but end up there one night to…play some cards or to study…)

Before I start giving out my ‘Hot tips’ I should probably state that I lived on Gippsland Residence for my first two years of university and I have recently moved off to live in a house with a few mates, so some of these tips should relate to people living in share houses. I have also stayed on Ballarat’s residency a few times for various reasons so I know that my tips will correlate to there too!

Aaron’s Hot Tip Guide

1. Wash your sheets.

No brainer, right? WRONG! If you are like me and are a lazy slob, washing sheets is low on the priority list. But nobody likes a bed full of bread crumbs, coffee and food stains. Also, it’s incredibly unhygienic, so you may want to take that into account too.

2. Wash your dishes.

I promise all my tips won’t be about cleaning like I’m your parent or something, but dish-washing causes heaps of fights, especially around the exam period when stresses are high. I’m not too sure why residency thinks dishwashers are a bad investment but I doubt they’re coming any time soon, so learn to wash.fight club

3. Watch Fight Club.

I’d recommend suggesting this the first time a movie night presents itself. This goes without saying for two reasons, it’s the best movie ever made, and it will also make you appear cool and tough in front of your colleagues, which I imagine can only be a good thing.

4. Go to the Res events.

As awkward as the activities you play there can be, they are a great way to get to know people. The reason they insist on playing the same games is because they get people talking and make people feel more comfortable. It’s also a great way to scout out the local talent whilst eating free food. If you’re looking to earn some toughness points in front of the residences, mention that you’ve watched Fight Club.

5. WASH YOUR DISHES

I’m not too sure if I’ve already mentioned this, but just in case, wash them. You could wash them whilst watching Fight Club if you want time to fly by?

6. Never talk about Fight Club

7. Never talk about Fight Club

8. ENJOY THE FREEDOM.

This is my last and most important tip. Enjoy it. Res is seriously so much fun. You meet heaps of people, party lots, study lots, learn to enjoy seeing 10 dollars in your bank account and it makes life seem awesome. It’s a great experience to see what life is like out on your own whilst still receiving support from your university and it really opens up your life. Most importantly, you can pretty much watch fight club whenever and wherever you want!

9. Wash your dishes

– Aaron