ETIQUETTE LESSONS: Cinema

BethLittle known fact about me is I have over 6 years working experience in both Cinema’s and Live Theatre ushering. It is the worst – the magic veil has been shattered for me, and now I dislike going to the cinema because I no longer get discounts. But here’s some sweet tips to make everyone at the cinema your friend.

Tidy up yourselves and keep your area clean. So cinemas are renowned for being dirty. Popcorn and sugar syrup on everything and everywhere. Cinema worker’s only get the credits of the previous movie to clean the cinema before the next movie is shown. If you’ve ever wondered why during Marvel movies there’s always an irritated usher, da’s why. So just a heads up, please guys, take your rubbish with you and don’t start popcorn wars even though they’re hil-arious. It’s not just to help out the workers, but the next movie goers as well so they don’t sit in a popcorn pile.

Open your lolly wrapper and shizzle during the previews. It’s a heartfelt scene, and you NEED that chocolate to keep going. I get it, I really do. But then you open that wrapper and all through the cinema all you can hear is that *cracklecrackle*. Naw. Moment ruined. Open them suckers and those boxes during the previews and place them neatly beside you in the spare chair (If it’s a midnight screening or reserved booking cinema, obviously don’t just put your stuff in someone else’s chair).

Don’t sit directly next to/in front of people. Imagine this scene. It’s a completely empty cinema. Just you, and you alone. Sweet lord has blessed you with the choice of which seat to sit in. You pick the perfect, best strategised seating position and get comfy with your snacks in the chairs surrounding you. Aw yeah. Then someone sits directly, directly, in front of you. No. Personal space at cinemas is still a thing. Pick the couple of seats down and away if it’s unreserved. Cinema chairs don’t really have any bad viewing positions in the main body, just pick a sweet chair and give your brethren some breathing room.

Don’t put your feet on the seats. I’ll admit I put my feet everywhere to get into a reclining position, but I won’t put them on the headrest area. One, the cinema will get mad at you because it causes damage and wear and tear to an area that shouldn’t have feet on it, but two, you don’t know what germs and stuff is on the bottom of your shoes. Just imagine what someone else has put on your headrest area if they put their feet up. Plus, you’re in public, not at home.

Get as comfy as you want. And then following from that, Cinema folk don’t care how comfy you get on the way to the cinema. I’ve had people rock up in pyjamas, blankets and pillows for an evening showing – evening, not late night. Those people were the best people, you knew they were there just for a good movie. When you’re comfy you enjoy the experience more.

Always order two drinks. Common knowledge; One drink does not last the whole movie. Order two. Save future you from the hassle of getting up and getting another drink, or choosing to wait and spend the entire movie parched.

Every cinema known to man has a variation of Cheap Tuesday.  We’re students, find out what night it is and conveniently plan any treat-yo-self or date night on those nights. Everyone is impressed.

Don’t be late to try and trick the previews. So many times during my career I had people rock up 25 minutes late thinking they were being clever and only missing the previews, to find out they missed 10 minutes of the start. Just enjoy the little snippets of other movies at the start. Get some ideas for next cinema fun time.

Basically have fun, it’s a time out, but be considerate of those around you. A small cinema still holds 100 people in that one room, that’s 100 bodies and 100 people are having an experience. Don’t be that guy they talk about as they leave.

YASSS.

– Beth