National Blood Donor Week

285736_514505705244967_163577496_nIf you are anything like me, you’d love to give back to those less fortunate, but need money for rent, food and that $200 text book next semester. What if I told that you could save 3 lives by simply donating an hour of your time, and a little bit of blood? I am, of course, talking about blood donation. This week is the perfect time to consider donating blood; as Red Cross Australia is celebrating National Blood Donor Week from the 12th to the 18th of June.

Here are some facts to convince you:

• 34% of donations are used to treat cancer and blood diseases
  • 1 in 3 Australians will require blood or blood products in their lifetime
  • Demand will grow by 100% over the next 10 years
  • Only 3% of Australians give blood each year
pic1
http://www.donateblood.com.au/blood-donor-week?gclid=CL7Js8fzo80CFQt_vQode9IP1A

To put my money (or blood), where my mouth is (ewww gross), I did some donating of my own this week. At my local donation centre in Ballarat, appointments are suggested but not required. So of course I showed up out of the blue, but they managed to fit me in pretty quickly. After a short questionnaire and some forms to fill out, I was interviewed to make sure I was eligible to give blood. This included a finger prick test to check my haemoglobin levels and a blood pressure test. After it was determined that I was an eligible donor (go figure), It was time donation time!

pic2

The donation itself took around 15 minutes while I sat in a couch and watched TV; so pretty much what I would have been doing if I was at home. At worst, inserting and taking out the extraction line (I don’t know what it’s called, get off my back) was uncomfortable rather than painful, but everything was fine during the donation time. After I had spent 10 more minutes in the couch resting, it was time to do what I do best, and eat some snacks. I spent about 10 minutes eating a variety of free muffins, chocolate, biscuits and chips. I then drove home and got on with my busy schedule. Yeah okay, I sat on the couch and watched TV, but I could have done a bunch of stuff unhindered.

So, if you feel like making an appointment, finding your closest centre, or finding out more about donating, visit http://www.donateblood.com.au/blood-donor-week?gclid=CL7Js8fzo80CFQt_vQode9IP1A

-Pat