Being on the Student Senate

Flying MaryDuring August last year, the University’s Student Senate began advertising for positions on the new Senate to be formed for the following year. As a third year student who had not yet been on the Senate, I was very drawn to the idea of a leadership position that would allow me to help make positive changes within the University and increase the enjoyment of the student experience. I filled out the paperwork with my ideas and what I stood for and a couple of weeks later I was luckily elected into the Sports Representative position for all campuses. As an International Studies student, it was not vital that I was a PE student but my role within the Ultimate Frisbee team and continued participation in UniGames events gave me enough background information to make my position easier.

So for you today, I am going to tell you why I have absolutely loved being a part of the Student Senate:

1. mary1Sense of Achievement. Being part of a proactive group filled with highly productive people is very motivating and somewhat inspiring. With some many brains working together, many ideas are created and projects are designed and achieved!
  2. Networking. Being part of a team that helps to bridge the gap between staff and students, you are able to meet so many more people than you do as a normal student. The connections I have made with staff members, university officials and other students whom I would never have had the chance to meet otherwise have already been so handy and influential. These kind of connections with powerful people in the academic world can have a major impact upon future job prospects; you never know who knows who!
  3. Friends. As you end up spending a lot of time together working on projects, attending meetings and road-tripping to other campuses with the other senate members, you do form close friendships. As like-minded people, you become friends with students from other faculties who you would never have met otherwise and who have different perspectives on life than you, which is always exciting.
  4. mary2Background knowledge. Due to the Senate being an important part of the University that deals with so many different and sometimes sensitive issues, it is so great for highly curious people like me who love knowing background information that not many people are privy to. The inner workings of a university are very interesting and it has been such an eye-opening and insightful experience being a part of the team.
  5. Warm Fuzzy Feels. When you are undertaking projects that will help others, and you see the positive impact they have once you finish the work, you get this amazing sense of achievement and all of the warm and fuzzy feels that make you feel so good inside! While volunteering is obviously about doing things for others, the great emotions you get for yourself by doing this kind of work is excellent for your own self-esteem and self-worth!
  6. Resume. We have all heard that employers these days are looking for that little something extra on the resumes of potential employees. What could possibly impress them more than showing them that you have been part of an influential, extracurricular group dedicated to change and improvement of systems and the experiences of others?

If you are thinking of nominating for the upcoming Student Senate or considering it for future years: yes! Do it! It will challenge you in ways you didn’t imagine but it will be so worth it as you will make so many strong connections for the future

Peace out!

– Mary

mary3